British International Schools
Fees and Financial Conditions
British International School – Gothenburg (BISG) tuition fees are set in accordance with the fee structure set by STEAM Education, as approved by The Swedish Schools Inspectorate (Skolinspektionen), which is the official body that regulates schools in Sweden.
The school fees for the upcoming academic year are subject to change in accordance with Act 2015:801 concerning international Education, and applicable regulations.
The education at our school is carried out under the supervision of the Swedish School Inspectorate (Sw. Skolinspektionen) and is performed in accordance with the standards set out in the Swedish Education Act and other applicable Swedish regulations on International Schools. Please click here to view our Admissions Policy.
Confidentiality and handling of personal data
By submitting the application and subsequently accepting to enrol with BIS, you agree that BIS handles your and your child’s personal data in their administration of the application*General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), replaces the Swedish Personal Data Act (PuL) and the requirements for how companies can process your personal data is tightened.
The fees below reflect costs for the 2020-2021 school year only and are not binding for future school years. All fees must be paid prior to a student’s first day of school. Payment of the fees is a condition for a student’s presence at our school.
An application fee of 2,500 SEK is due at the time of application. This fee is:
- Refundable if the school does not offer the student a place. Unless the child’s registration is carried forward to the following academic year.
- Non-refundable if the school offers the student a place but the student chooses not to take it.
- Not deductible from the tuition fees if the student is offered and accepts a place.
The application may be cancelled and withdrawn pursuant to the Distance Selling Act at any time prior to 14 days after the application was made (“Change of Mind Period”). In such a case, British International School will refund the Application Fee provided that the notice has been given within the Change of Mind Period.
A single one-off payment of SEK 35,000 per student. This Fee is payable after the student has been offered a place and parents have accepted the offer. The Enrolment Fee is a non-refundable fee.
- Child 1 – 35 000 SEK
- Child 2 – 35 000 SEK
- Child 3 (and all subsequent children) – a discount of 25% will be given to families that will be reflected on the first Tuition Fee invoice.
The below fee schedule is based on tuition fees as approved by The Swedish Schools Inspectorate (Skolinspektionen), which is the official body that regulates schools in Sweden.
Tuition Fees 2020-2021
- Foundation Stage 1 or 2 SEK 110.000
- Key Stage 1: Years 1-2 SEK 115,000
- Key Stage 2: Years 3-6 SEK 119,000
- Key Stage 3: Years 7-9 SEK 125,000
- Key Stage 4: Years 10-11 (GCSE) SEK 139,000
- Key Stage 5: Years 12-13 (A Level / IB) SEK 147,000
- Please note that fees for children who are not registered with their local kommun (i.e who do not have a Swedish personal number) are substantially higher than those listed above.
- School fees are inclusive of loaned items such as books, iPad and/ MacBook, curriculum trips, Learning Support Services and English as an Additional Language support (EAL). Registration for Internal after-school activities are also included. School fees do not include uniforms, transport, and external activity offerings.
British International School offers a sibling discount as follows:
- 3rd child: 25% tuition fee concession
- 4th child: 25% tuition fee concession
- 5th child onwards: 50% tuition fee concession
- The Application Fee 2,500 SEK is payable at the time of the online registration and is charged to process the application of new students.
- Once the child receives a formal offer from the school and is accepted by the parent, the enrolment fee 35,000 SEK is charged to enroll the child and secure the seat.
- Once the signed offer letter is returned and the enrolment fee is paid, the full first term’s tuition is due prior to the student starting school. Please note that British International school tuition fees are exclusive of uniforms and transport.
- Students are enrolled for the complete term and British International School will not reduce or refund any part of the Annual Tuition Fee for a term or any other fee, due to delayed entry, absence, or withdrawal.
- British International School can collect annual tuition fees in two instalments, due at the beginning of each term. The first term’s payment will be 60%, the second 40% of annual tuition fees. Generally, the first invoice is sent out in May for the first term and in November for the second term.
- Students enrolling at British International School for the second term of the school year are only required to pay 50% of the Annual Tuition Fee.
- All students withdrawing from the school must submit notification of their withdrawal in writing to the Admissions office. A three months notification period is required to ensure all necessary documents are ready.
- Failure to provide the required notification will result in fees for the following term being retained.
- Please note that a full-term fee is charged for any part‐term attendance. Pupils leaving the school are required to clear all obligations before final records will be forwarded to the next school or University.
Pupils are enrolled until the end of a term and any payments made to the school to secure a place for the next term are final and there will be no refunds or reductions due to delayed entry, absence or withdrawal.
Swedish Government subsidies
The Government Subsidy does not cover the school Fee. British International School is entitled to subsidies from Swedish municipalities for students in grades 1-12. However, your child must have a Swedish Personal Number [personnummer] before starting at British International School. This is required for the School to receive municipality funding for your child’s place.
If the Swedish Personal Number is not obtained (or if the relevant municipality does not agree to fund the place) then your place at the school will be Withdrawn and you will be personally liable for costs incurred by the School. If you are not correctly registered at the Tax Office, with a residential address in Sweden, you will also be personally liable for costs incurred by the School and your place will be Withdrawn.
Parents should note that even if their employer does provide education benefits, the company may not be considered a “Company Pay” account for British International school. Parents should check with the Registration Office to inquire about their employer’s status.
Companies and organizations that have a current account with British International School are requested to provide parents of new students a letter stating that the company will be responsible for payment of tuition and fees. These companies are then required to pay the application fee, tuition for the current term within 30 days of the date the new student is accepted for enrollment.
Term and governing law
This Fee Payment, and the terms found herein, shall apply to the entire period during which the student is enrolled at BIS and for as long as any Fees are outstanding. This Policy shall be governed by the laws of Sweden.
If you have any questions or a complaint pertaining your Personal Information you can mail us at:
British International Schools